Wednesday 8 April 2015

Ask Anonymous 6

To see previous editions of this column, click here. Click here to submit your own questions to be answered in an upcoming edition of Ask Anonymous.

Q: I disagree with a mark I got on my last assignment. How can I approach my teacher to talk about why I got the mark I did?
 

A: Be respectful when approaching your teacher. Ask to speak with them after class about the mark and explain politely why you think you deserve a higher mark. Don’t make it seem like they were in the wrong by giving you a mark that was lower than you expected by pointing fingers at them – remember that they’re the one who inputs the mark on your report card. Explain why you think you deserve a higher mark, not why they were wrong for giving you a lower one. Keep in mind that a good attitude goes a long way.


Q: How do I become a billionaire?
 

A: Stay in school. Work hard. Be Bill Gates?


Q: What’s a good book you recommend reading? (No Divergent/John Green/Hunger Games and all that stuff pls)
 

A: Lucky for you, The Titan Times has our very own expert, Sarah Asselin, who writes great book reviews every other week. Her unique recommendations range over many genres so you’ll be sure to find something that you’re interested in. As for me, I’d strongly recommend reading either A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini or Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. If you haven’t already had the pleasure of reading the first mentioned novel in grade eleven English, I definitely suggest that you do so. It’s a captivating story following two women and their struggles in war-ridden Afghanistan. The second novel, Wuthering Heights, is a classic piece of literature that was first published in 1847. The language may be difficult to understand at times but the heartbreaking yet not cheesy love story of the star-crossed protagonists makes it all worth it. Plus, certain quotes in the novel are seriously worth tattooing… or tweeting, whatever you’re more comfortable with.


Q: I’m torn over Zayn leaving One Direction, what do I do?
 

A: People grieve in different ways, my friend, but instead of burying your face into a pillow and listening to his high note in You and I on loop, I recommend that you try to keep your sanity as you wait for the launch of his solo career - we all know it’s happening. For now, stay strong. It will get better. 

Until next time,

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment