If you want something sweet for a fresh-tasting Easter treat, try these mini lemon Bundt cakes. For recipes for a savoury meal, check out our recommendations from St. Patrick's Day.
The following recipe has been loosely adapted from Longo's Spring Magazine, 2012.
Cakes (yields about six mini cakes)
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup buttermilk or sour milk (ie. milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar left to stand for 15 minutes until curdled)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- Preheat oven to bake at 350°F
- With your mixer, combine the butter and sugar on medium speed for two minutes.
- Add in vanilla, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add in remaining ingredients and blend on low speed for 1 minute. Then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until well blended.
- Divide batter evenly into cake pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cakes are golden brown and cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Invert pan onto cooling rack and cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Prepare glaze while cakes are cooling. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine all of the glaze ingredients. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Brush glaze over cakes and top with Mini Eggs. Place cakes on a platter with Easter Grass for extra marks on presentation.